March 16, 2023
Bishop, W. F. Houston, Jr.
"18 Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. 19 See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." Isaiah 43:18-19 (NIV)
Dear brothers and sisters, I greet you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Today, we gather to explore the idea of change and our faith's role in navigating the uncharted waters of our lives. As we journey through life, change is inevitable, and it is up to us to decide whether we will embrace it with faith or resist it out of fear.
I. Embracing Change
A. The reality of change
- Change is a part of life, and we cannot escape it.
- It can be uncomfortable and scary but also necessary for growth.
- God uses change to shape and mold us into the people He wants us to be.
B. Trusting in God's plan
- God's plan is always for our good, even when it is hard to understand.
- Trusting in His plan allows us to move forward confidently, knowing He is in control.
- Embracing change with faith brings us closer to God and His purpose for our lives.
II. God's Promise amid Change
A. God's promise of a new thing (Isaiah 43:18-19)
- God is constantly working to bring about new beginnings and fresh starts.
- He makes a way in the wilderness, providing guidance and direction during difficult times.
- He brings life to dry and barren places, offering hope and renewal.
B. God's faithfulness in the past
- Reflecting on how God has been faithful in the past can strengthen our faith in the present.
- We can trust that He will continue to be faithful in the future.
- Remembering God's faithfulness helps us to face change with courage and confidence.
III. Our Response to Change
A. Letting go of the past
- We must let go of past mistakes, failures, and disappointments to embrace the new things God has in store.
- Dwelling on the past can hinder our growth and keep us from moving forward.
- God's grace is sufficient to cover our past and propel us into the future.
B. Seeking God's guidance
- Pray for wisdom and discernment as you navigate change.
- Seek God's guidance through His Word and the counsel of godly mentors.
- Trust that God will lead you step by step as you walk in faith.
C. Embracing growth and new opportunities
- Change can lead to growth and development in our spiritual lives.
- Embrace new opportunities to serve, learn, and grow in your faith.
- Trust that God is working in and through the changes you face to accomplish His purposes.
As we face the inevitable changes that life brings our way, let us remember that God is with us, guiding us and working all things together for our good. May we embrace change with faith, trusting in His plan and His promises, and allowing Him to shape us into the people He desires us to be. Let us leave behind the past and look forward to the new things God is doing in our lives, growing in faith and walking confidently in His love and grace.